Friday, January 25, 2013

To Skype or Not to Skype

I don't know about how others feel about this, but Skype interviews make me much more nervous than face to face interviews. Why you may ask? For me, there are all sorts of things that can go wrong that you may not think about until they happen. For example, even with a strong internet connection calls can still drop, the picture can be fuzzy or delayed, or the sound may not work. All of these things have happened to me, and while they are normal occurrences, I know that I felt as though it reflected poorly on me at times.

As frustrating as it can be though, it is a necessary part of finding a job overseas. While it may seem like a more informal way to interview, don't be fooled. This is very much an interview and all of the usual standards apply like professional dress and prepared questions. One of the things I have done is write down answers to possible interview questions ahead of time and keep them next to me. Then there is always something to refer to if you get stuck.

I have done several Skype interviews for jobs in various places around the world. It is nerve wracking, but the best thing to do is to try to be yourself. Set up an area with good lighting and a neutral background. Make sure that there won't be any interruptions like people walking into the room or phones ringing. Most importantly though, relax and be yourself.

I always take notes during interviews and Skype is no exception. Because you are talking to people from different parts of the world, you may be interviewing early in the morning or late at night. Notes are very helpful. One piece of advice: if you get an offer during your interview, get all the facts and tell them you will think about it. Then give them a response within a reasonable amont of time.

Be aware of expenses that you have in your home country and if they will follow you to your new country. Then take into account the local currency and if you will have enough money to live. I had to turn down a great job in Indonesia because while I would have been living like a queen on the local currency, I had two hefty student loans that were going to follow me. I wouldn't have been able to afford to live there.

If it doesn't feel like the right fit, then it probably isn't. There's always another job around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment