Saturday, January 26, 2013

Christmas in Amsterdam

Portugese Synagoge

 Amsterdam is a great place to be in the winter holiday season. The weather is crisp, the canals are glistening, and the whole city is lit up with twinkling lights. Each section of town even has it's own theme.

There are all sorts of events going on if you know where to look. The best place to start is with www.iamsterdam.com

There were all sorts of concerts and canal lightings. One of the interesting things I was able to find was the Grachten Festival. It takes place two times a year, once in the summer, and once in the winter.  The Grachten Festival was a series of classical concerts in various locations around the city. The one that I chose to attend took place at the Portugese Synagoge. The building was beautiful with gilded chandeliers and the soft glow of candlelight all around. The building had no heat, so we were offered a blanket upon arrival. The concert was an hour of beautifully haunting music played by musicians with instruments I had never seen before. It was an unconventional way to spend an evening, but in a strange way it got me in the holiday spirit.

But of course I couldn't forget a couple touches from home like Bailey's and a little Christmas tree. Thanks to Tim, when I got home from my last day of work before the holiday break, I found a decorated tree and a cozy apartment. While I couldn't be home with my family, this was the next best thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment